Posted by: admin July 13th, 2017
Cold Quinoa Salad
Cold quinoa salad will quickly become a spring and summertime staple in your house thanks to the bright, refreshing flavors of cucumber, pineapple and cilantro. This recipe for cold quinoa salad makes a perfect side dish for a cookout with friends or a simple meal at home. Top it with grilled chicken or shrimp for a delicious and nutritious lunch or dinner!
Makes approximately seven 1/2-cup servings
- 3 cups chilled cooked quinoa
- 1 English (seedless) cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 8-ounce can pineapple tidbits + 2 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 small bunch cilantro
- juice and zest of one lime
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
1. Place diced onion in a small bowl of ice water for approximately 10 minutes. (This will remove the bite from the raw onion. Do not skip this step!)
2. Remove leaves from cilantro bunch, discard the stems and chop remaining leaves.
3. Combine all remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Drain the water from the onion and add the onion to the mix. Add chopped cilantro. Toss everything to combine.
4. Serve chilled and refrigerate remaining leftovers in an airtight container.
Nutritional Information: Per 1/2 cup serving: Calories: 133 / Fat: 3g / Sodium: 221mg / Carbs: 23g / Sugars: 5g / Fiber: 3g / Protein: 4g
Source: Peanut Butter Fingers (www.pbfingers.com)